What is now known as Yorkshire was once a wooded area located between the city limits of Columbia and rural Richland Country.
During the 1940's, the land on which Yorkshire was developed adjoined the Richland County Chain Gang Camp on the left. The property to the right of Yorkshire -which belonged to private individuals-also housed a popular nightclub off Leesburg Road known as The Beachcomber in the 1950's.
The Yorkshire subdivision was developed in the early 1960's by Mr. J.T. McAlister and Mr. Joe Turbeville on part of the original Wade Hampton Estate. Several of the houses were shown in the Parade of Homes in 1963 and led the way for the first families to start moving into this new sub-division. In 1964 there were only five or six families residing in Yorkshire and one of these families is still residing there. In the past 40 years the community has grown and the neighborhood is justly proud.
- Price Range Maximum: $ - Less than $100