Columbia, SC (November 17, 2012) - The Columbia Regional Sports Council is pleased to announce the 11th Annual Chick-fil-A Classic Holiday Basketball Tournament to be held in Columbia, SC December 19-22, 2012. The Chick-fil-A Classic has become one of the most prestigious high school basketball tournaments in the nation.
This past year Max Preps, an affiliate of CBS Sports, ranked the Chick-fil-A Classic as the nation's #3 High School Tournament. The Chick-fil-A Classic has the distinction as being the only tournament ranked in the top 5 nationally that is less than 25 years old. This year's tournament field features 5 teams that are pre-season nationally or regionally ranked. Included are 12 of the nation's top players as ranked by ESPN.
All games will be played at Richland Northeast High School located at 7500 Brookfield Road in Columbia, SC. Daily tickets prices to the event are $15 for reserved floor seating (when available), $10 for general admission and $5 for children age 10 and under. Reserved seat ticket books (good for all games) may be purchased in advance. For advance sales reserved ticket information, go to www.chick-fil-aclassic.com and click on the "Tickets" link. Individual daily tickets can be purchased at the gymnasium ticket booth the day of starting one hour before the first scheduled game of the day. There is no pre-sale of general admission tickets.
The Carolina Challenge Showcase will again be played in conjunction with the Chick-fil-A Classic. The Carolina Challenge Showcase will feature 9 additional teams competing in a series of games. See list that follows.
The tournament proceeds will again support the Greater Columbia Educational Advancement Foundation (GCEAF) in its efforts to raise educational scholarships for deserving students who live within the Greater Columbia area. Last year fifteen (15) $1,000 scholarships were awarded. GCEAF went over the $100,000 mark awarded in educational scholarships to deserving students who live within the Greater Columbia area this past year.
For more information on the schedule of games, ticket information, brackets and participating teams information, visit the tournament website at www.chick-fil-aclassic.com.
2012 Participating Teams (Chick-fil-A Classic & Carolina Challenge)
• St. John Bosco, CA (6'5 Sr Isaac Hamilton, 6'6 Jr Daniel Hamilton, 6'4 Soph Tyler Dorsey)
• Christ the King, NY (6'2 Sr Jon Severe, Adonis Delarosa, 6'6 Sr Jordan Fuchs)
• Deerfield Beach, FL (6'3 Sr Terrence Johnson - committed to South Alabama, 6'4 Sr Marcus Owens, Sr Javaris Jenkins)
• Wheeler, GA (6'7 Sr Elijah Staley, 6'9 Soph Daniel Giddeons, 6'4 Soph Jaylen Brown)
• Christ School, NC (6'8 Sr Shannon Hale - committed to Alabama, 6'4 Sr Jaylen Allen - committed to Wofford, 6'2 Jr Eric Johnson)
• Miller School, VA (6'9 Jr Isaac Copeland, 6'10 Sr Tony Washington)
• Wesleyan Christian Academy, NC (6'5 Jr Theo Pinson, 6'1 Jr JaQuel Richmond, Sr Montay Brandon, 6'8 Fr Harry Giles)
• Blanche Ely, FL (6'3 Sr Dallas Cameron - committed to American University, 6'7 Sr Kahlil Thomas - committed to Rider, 6'0 Jr Lance Tejada, 6'3 Jr Richard Lee)
• Roberts Vaux, PA (6'5 Sr Rysheed Jordan)
• Flora Macdonald Academy, NC (6'7 Sr Jared Scott, 6'8 Sr Rashed Anthony, 6' Sr Darren Williams)
• W.J. Keenan, SC (6'2 Jr Marcus Stroman - committed to South Carolina)
• Richland Northeast, SC (6'4 Sr Aaron Scott - committed to Appalachian State)
• Spring Valley, SC (6'3 Soph P.J. Dozier)
• A.C. Flora, SC (6'4 Sr Matt Howard - committed to Pennsylvania)
• Lower Richland, SC (6'5 Sr Vincent Hickland)
• Hillcrest, SC (6'3 Sr Tre' Smith - committed to Charleston Southern, 6' Sr DJ Brooks - committed to Mercer)
Carolina Challenge Series:
• Sol C. Johnson, GA (6'5 Sr Tim Quarterman - committed to LSU, 6'8 Sr Saadig Muhammad)
• JF Webb, NC (6'8 Sr Isaiah Hicks - committed to UNC)
• Shiloh, GA (7'1 Jr Trayvon Reed, 5'10 Jr Nate Mason)
• Aquinas, GA (6'4 Jr Ahmed Hill)
• Olympic, NC (6'4 Sr BJ Gladdens - committed to Akron)
• Winston-Salem Prep, NC (5'11 Sr Raekwon Harney)
• Cardinal Newman, SC (6'6 Sr Austin Ajukwa - committed to Clemson)
• Hammond, SC (6'2 Fr Seven Woods)
Credentials for the 2012 Chick-fil-A Classic are issued for working media only and should be requested as soon as possible due to space limitations. There are limited game-viewing tables courtside and upstairs. Accredited working media will have first priority for credentials and table seating. All others will be on a space-available basis. Press Books will be available for approved working media at the pass gate table during tournament hours while supplies last.
All media should contact Ryan Johnson, by e-mail at email@example.com to request a media credential with the following information included:
- Your media outlet (specify newspaper, Internet site, TV or radio)
- Number of credentials requested and the name and title of each requestor
- If covering a specific team, the team(s) you will be covering
Note: Please include "Chick-fil-A Classic Credentials" in the subject.
About the Columbia Regional Sports Council:
The Columbia Regional Sports Council is a non-profit organization committed to serving as the central clearinghouse for information regarding the sponsorship, promotion, and coordination of sporting events, facilities and associations in Columbia. If you would like additional information on the Columbia Sports Council, please visit our website at www.columbiasportscouncil.com or contact Scott Powers at (803) 545-0009.