On September 22, 1897, Gus opened the doors to Gustaf Sylvan’s High Grade Jewelers at 1524 Main Street. The next day an article in The Columbia State extolled the elegance of the new store...“Mr. Gustaf Sylvan has opened a highgrade jewelry store at number 1524 Main Street. He has fitted his store handsomely with walnut and glass cases, which show his elegant stock off to good advantage. Mr. Sylvan proposes to cater to the best trade of Columbia.”
On June 24, 1905, Sylvan Brothers moved to the Second Empire-style building on the corner of Main and Hampton streets where Sylvan’s Jewelers is located to this day. A year later, they installed a beautiful four-sided clock on the sidewalk in front of the store. Today the Sylvan Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and the Sylvan’s clock is a cherished local landmark.