All that Jazz: A Guide to the Columbia SC Jazz Scene
Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:00 AM by Charlene Slaughter
Thank you to Columbia SC Ambassador Mark Rapp, who contributed to this blog.
The jazz scene in Columbia SC is bustling with talented and accomplished musicians playing in venues across the region. From concerts to cocktail lounges, big band to Grammy nominated headliners, there are plenty of ways to experience the sounds of jazz.
Popular jazz and soul music club Chayz Lounge brings live bands featuring smooth jazz to Meeting Street in West Columbia. The 75-seat live music venue offers an intimate, up-close and personal jazz listening (and dancing) experience. Enjoy a light meal, signature cocktails and a host of renowned jazz artists every weekend.
The Koger Center for the Arts inaugural season of Live in the Lobby: Koger Center Jazz is a subscription series presenting five concerts held in the Koger Center lobby curated to embody a specific style and era of jazz music. The Koger Center will also bring the sounds of jazz saxophonist Boney James, one of Billboard’s Top 3 Contemporary Jazz Artists of the Decade, on April 24 and Grammy nominated jazz vocalist Gregory Porter in June.
For a mixture of culinary and cocktails with local and regional jazz musicians, head to one of the many restaurants and bars regularly featuring jazz on the menu:
- After grabbing a bit at Pearlz Oyster Bar in the Vista, head to Pearlz Upstairz Lounge for live jazz music from local and regional artist every Thursday from 8 p.m.- 11 p.m.
- On any given night, you’ll fine jazz music wafting down Main Street from The Joint @ 1710 Main. The venue is modeled after jazz halls that were popular in the heartlands of the U.S. in the 1940’s and features live local, regional and national jazz artists.
- Enter local gastropub The Aristocrat on Fridays and some Saturdays and you’ll find world-class, inspiring live jazz in a hip and fun space.
- Jazz is featured at Lula Drake Wine Parlor on Tuesdays with Amos Hoffman, an Israeli jazz guitarist and oudist known worldwide as a pioneer in fusing the rhythms of the Middle East with modern jazz.
- Jazz is on tap at Hunter Gatherer Brewery and Alehouse Jazz Jam led by Mark Rouse on Thursday evenings featuring talented local musicians and special guests.
- The Mark Rapp Group presents Jazz Night at Za’s on Devine once a month. The next show is on Saturday, Feb. 1. Also, join the Mark Rapp Group for a listening room dinner and jazz concert at the Venue on Main every last Friday of the month and performing at Hotel Trundle during First Thursdays on Main.
- Halls Chophouse offers Saturday Night Jazz featuring the SC Jazz Masterworks Ensemble (Robert Gardiner on saxophone, Sam Edwards on bass and Danny Boozer on drums) each week. The Ensemble will also present The Art of the Big Band at Harbison Theatre on Feb. 1 and perform with jazz vocalist Veronica Swift in June.
- Trivinia Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar regularly hosts jazz musicians. See the Dante Lewis Duo perform on Jan. 31 at 7 p.m.
- The Third Annual Cola Jazz Festival will be held on April 4 at The Senate Columbia. The 2020 lineup will be announced soon.
To keep up with jazz events in and around Columbia, visit ColaJazz.com.